In case you missed it last time, BBC Radio Four is to repeat the radio adaptation of Neil Gaiman‘s incredibly popular Neverwhere book/ TV series / idea. The first episode is repeated at 11pm on Christmas Day.Here is the synopsis of the series for those not familiar with it :
Beneath the streets of London there is another London, a subterranean labyrinth of sewers and abandoned tube stations. A somewhere that is Neverwhere.
An act of kindness sees Richard Mayhew catapulted from his ordinary life into a deep world under the streets of London. Stopping to help an injured girl on a London street, Richard is thrust from his workaday existence into the strange world of London Below.
So begins a curious and mysterious adventure deep beneath the streets of London, a London of shadows where the tube cry of ‘Mind the Gap’ takes on new meaning; for the inhabitants of this murky domain are those who have fallen through the gaps in society, the dispossessed, the homeless. Here Richard meets the Earl of Earl’s Court, Old Bailey and Hammersmith, faces a life-threatening ordeal at the hands of the Black Friars, comes face to face with Great Beast of London, and encounters an Angel. Called Islington.
Joining the mysterious girl named Door and her companions, the Marquis de Carabas and the bodyguard, Hunter, Richard embarks on an extraordinary quest to escape from the clutches of the fiendish assassins Croup and Vandemar and to discover who ordered them to murder her family. All the while trying to work out how to get back to his old life in London Above.
With a stellar cast including: James McAvoy as Richard and Natalie Dormer, David Harewood, Sophie Okonedo, Benedict Cumberbatch, Christopher Lee, Anthony Head, David Schofield, Bernard Cribbins, Romola Garai, George Harris, Andrew Sachs, Lucy Cohu, Johnny Vegas, Paul Chequer, Don Gilet and Abdul Salis. Adapted by Dirk Maggs.
Producer/ Heather Larmour for the BBC
- Book Review: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (thelawandthereader.wordpress.com)
- Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere Banned Due to Racy Jumper Fumblings (tor.com)
- Neverwhere – Neil Gaiman: A Review (bookishandloud.wordpress.com)
- Sign This Petition: Don’t Censor Neil Gaiman’s ‘Neverwhere’ in Alamogordo (ncacblog.wordpress.com)
- Neil Gaiman’s ‘Neverwhere’ is restored to New Mexico high school (csmonitor.com)
- New Mexico school considers banning Neil Gaiman’s “Neverwhere” (salon.com)
- #AmReading – The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman @neilhimself (xcellentbookpromotions.wordpress.com)