By Will Barber – Taylor
Another’s Sorrow begins excellently, with a good atmosphere and a chilling prediction of what will happen to the King and his daughter and then Morgana turns up. Now, I have nothing at all against Katy McGrath but we only saw her two episodes ago! Sometimes, less is more.
Another old face appears from the past: Odin. Not seen since his failed attempt to kill Arthur, it is good to see Odin return to the series. My main annoyance with this episode is the fact that it feels too similar to previous plots: Morgana gets an ally, (who is more often than not a bit of an idiot) creates a “cunning” plan and then lures Arthur to his “almost certain” death. Unlike the previous episode, the whole story feels tired and very much a reheated plot.
Katy McGrath is sinister, even though the plot is not much to work with. She is evil and enjoys being so. The scenes particularly with Princess Mithian are particularly chilling, the fact Morgana does not mind hurting her to get what she wants is very frightening. Slowly, episode by episode, Morgana is getting more and more callous. Hopefully, the character will continue along this interesting path but not appear too often.
Even though it has its fault, Another’s Sorrow is quite a good episode. However the over use of Morgana is a shame as the viewers may get tired with seeing the same villain behind every plot. Hopefully, this will not make the character become a tired joke.
- Review: Merlin 5.04 Another’s Sorrow (trollishdelver.com)
- Merlin: Arthur’s Bane Part Two Review (theconsultingdetectivesblog.wordpress.com)
- Merlin: Arthur’s Bane Part One Review (theconsultingdetectivesblog.wordpress.com)
- Merlin: The Death Song of Uther Pendragon Review (theconsultingdetectivesblog.wordpress.com)
- 10 Teasers from Merlin Series 5, Ep 4 “Another’s Sorrow” (geeksyndicate.co.uk)
- Merlin Series Five Preview (theconsultingdetectivesblog.wordpress.com)